HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hunters in MO. Quick question.
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013, 08:05 AM
MIZ_hunter7
Spike

I bagged a big ol'stud this past Saturday. He was roosted with 6 hens. I located him before dawn. set up the Primo's B-Mobile and a breeder hen at 15 yards. I did some light calling with him and the hens before they flew down. Challenge of the hunt was they were roosted on the other side of the Little Blue River. I had to get them to pitch down on my side. Never been able to do that in the 12 years I've hunted on our property. But That 1st hit flew out onto our side. The rest followed, this big bird followed the hens. Those hens saw my strutter decoy and decided to work my way. The tom had landed at about 125 yards and followed his hens. At about 50 yards he saw that breeder hen and wasn't gonna have anything to do with it. He came marching in and pulled up next to my b-mobile. Dropped him at 15 yards. I was done for the day at 6:28! Hunted a total of 30 minutes. I'll get pictures up later this evening. But he weighted 26 lbs. with a 10" beard and 1 1/2" spurs!! Biggest bird I've harvested yet.

But all the toms I've seen are really henned up. We're in the heat of the breeding period. Which is making for some exciting hunts. Best advice is either get on them early. Or wait tilll late morning to find a lonesome tom.