HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - The Good , Bad and the Ugly..
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2013, 06:16 AM
Chuck7
Dominant Buck

Default The Good , Bad and the Ugly..

Went fishing this morning..flipped..expecting Big Bertha to be on one of the 100s of beds I see..nothing going..So I felt led to drift and crank deep water..I put 2 rods sideways on the boat..this way if one is getting bit I can grab and set the hook before the fish feels me..Meanwhile..I tied on a Bill Norman 9 foot DD Tennnessee Shad on the little lite rod..on and low and behold..this 6 1/2 pounder snatched it.It was a blast on Lite tackle..

The wind was blowing strong so for us drifters..it was perpect fishing weather today. . I was planning to drift about 5 times over this 200 yd segment of water..On the 2nd drift I picked up this 3 pounder.,..man..starting to be a very good day..{-;

Here's my new Lite Ugly Stick...However with hogs like this ..I brought some back up..I brought 1 MH 7 foot mono rod and a Flipping rod rigged with Power Pro..and and my 7 foot Medium Ugly Stick I use for throwing big cranks..

And now for the Ugly..}--; on one of my drifts..because I decided on about 7 or more drifts..hey it was looking good; one of my worm rods starting moving..I picked it up and whatever it was was gone..SO..I tried again..so here I am cranking my butt off and I have my 7 ' worm rod drifting as well as my 7 ' medium crank bait rod drifting with a worm {Mistake #1} I'd forgot it was my flimsy medium..so..here I am cranking one rod when the 7 'medium rod starts scaping the boat because a fish is biting it...Quickly as planned I drop the crankbait rod..pick up the 7 footer..fish is running...I make a long sweeping over the head hook set..FISH ON!!!and it's a monster!! I'm turning the crank but no line is being spooled..This bad girl is ripping the line off the spool. OK..I'm already read up and prayed up so I'm totally relaxed..I simply use the index finger to tighten up gradually on the drag..and here she comes..The fish is about 25 yds out..and I'm fishing in 10-16 foot of water {This is where they go when they aint bedding..that was a tip [-; } and now she breaks the surface with a tarpon headshake but only 1/2 of her is out of the water..ok..thinking good solid 8 pounder here..I don't pray out loud as my usual custom..I'm totally relaxed..actually I begine thanking God for another great fish..Oh know..not another jump..YES sir re' Bob..and this time totally out of the water.and she is every bit of 27 inches..a 2 fisted hawg mouth and a rectangular shapeded 10 pound plus..and after the jump....oh ..oh ..oh no no no ..my line is slack..I never yell..but this time I yelled..OH NO !!!!!!very loudly..so there ya got..The Good, Bad and the Ugly..

However,
I'll Be Back

Last edited by Chuck7; 04-20-2013 at 06:43 AM.