HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - sst vs. core lokt
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2013, 07:57 AM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

I don't think it's necessarily fair just to compare the core lokt and SST bullets without considering the factory ammo in which they're loaded. The core lokt is a killer bullet, nice medium game bullet, even though it doesn't typically tout a very respectable BC. But, it's cross to bear is the low end factory loading that carries it. The Hornady SST is typically found in factory ammo with much higher degree of quality control.

If you luck out and your rifle likes the Remington fodder, the core lokt will deliver. Won't have the best ballistics, and you'll likely see stringing from a pretty high ES (in my experience), but it will flatten deer.

The Hornady 'premium' ammo will usually be more accurate in a broader spectrum of rifles, just for the level of quality you are buying. Reloaders that neck turn will quickly see the difference in brass quality, and anyone with a chrony can see the difference in load regularity (ES).

I personally prefer the design of the SST, as I generally see better uniformity in performance across a wide velocity spectrum at impact. At 100yrds or 600yrds, it's going to deliver a killing expansion. I have had only one rifle that I shot core lots past 400yrds, and getting expansion at low impact velocities seemed to be a challenge.

Some guys are satisfied that a 3" group at 100yrds will kill a deer, some aren't. Some guys want to maximize their mpbr, some only hunt to 200yrds anyway. To each their own.