HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - She done good, real good!
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2013, 06:18 PM
weekender
Spike

Default She done good, real good!

My wife has been calling and killing her own turkeys for many years. She has amassed a sizeable collection of long beards and spurs. She has the calling skills for sure and the patience of Jobe. Her favorite call is a wing bone. It has caused the death of many long beards over the years. She shoots a 12ga 2 3/4" Rem 1100 with a very tight built in choke. Mid way through her turkey hunting career, she called in two long beards away from two seasoned men hunters and waited till the turkeys heads lined up and killed them both with one shot. I would have loved to have been there and seen the look on the two mens faces when they walked up to my wife and seen who had bested them. Sunday we had errands to run. I was out of heavy shot for my 3" gun and we must have stopped at a dozen places with no luck finding any. We sort of laughed as she told me sometimes it only takes 1 shot to kill a couple turkeys. Monday was opening day and she and I were hunting maybe 1/2 mile apart. With rain early and a good chance of thundershowers, we opted to let the front pass and didn't get set up till about 10AM with plans on hunting the rest of the day. It was very quite, she had seen 1 hen and nada for me. About 5:30PM, I heard 1 shot. Sounded too far to me to be her but my hearing is not great to say the least. A couple minutes went by then my phone started vibrating. An excited voice on the other end said "you only need one shell". When I asked if she had killed two, "LONG BEARDS" was her answer. Heck of a way to start the season.