HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - It's Scouting Time In The South
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013, 05:37 PM
Semisane
Boone & Crockett

Default It's Scouting Time In The South

Nice weather? Scouting Time!

March and April are the favorite months for scouting among the guys in my hunting club. We're a ten-man club with a 900 acre lease on a pine tree plantation. Our only hardwoods consist of a 50 yard wide swath bordering an intermittent creek bed that bisects the property.

We try to keep our impact low in the fall and during the season by using only a few well defined paths to our stands, and avoiding roaming and brush busting. So we're out in early Spring looking for deer trails, sheds, old rubs and scrapes, and new stand locations.

This year has been especially interesting because the loggers did a thinning cut a little while back and the area has changed a lot due to more sunlight and new growth. Recently I was checking out an area that has never been very good for us. But the logging activity changed it quite a bit and it has a lot of new briar and blackberry sprouts starting to stick up in the logging cuts. And one real biggie - three deer beds off to the side of the cuts, about ten yards back into the trees.

So guess where I put one of my 12 ft. “high chair” stands?

Here's the spot.