HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Which Camo Is Best for Predator Hunting?
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013, 01:24 PM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

To expand a bit on my statements CalHunter copied over:

One difference in what I wear for predators vs what I wear for big game is because of my location during the hunt. If I'm in a ground blind, I wear all black to match my blind interior, if I'm in a deer stand, I'll wear something like real-tree hardwoods with dark browns, greens, tans, and greys to match the trees I'm against, but for predators, I'm on the ground out in the open.

Being on "the ground" in kansas generally means dry grass, where light tans dominate, smattered with some faint reds/pinks, light greys, and light greens.

King's Desert Shadow camo works fantastic for blending into grasslands, Mossy Oak Duck-Blind is another one I like. Military Surplus 3color or 5color "chocolate chip" desert camo, or even multi-cam BDU's are a cheap option too as a cover-up on top of your warm hunting jackets.

3D concealment is your best route. Ghillie suits/ponchos/jackets or at least leafy jackets will help break up your figure and your shadows, and give a little more realistic wind movement to your figure (waving like the grass around you instead of being perfectly still). I'm working on a new ghillie hood, I'll try to post up some pictures of the build when I get back from Iowa next week.