HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 100% new to hunting. Few questions!
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2013, 08:06 PM
Sanders1996
Spike

Originally Posted by GTOHunter
There are several Hunting Sites specific to Missouri Sanders1996,lots of great info and Hunters local in Your area.Another good thing for dragging Deer is a simple decent size piece of plastic or even a plastic snow sled.Where we hunt we usually go get the small Farm Tractor and load the Deer up after field dressing,another place we walk in to where we hunt and if we shoot a Deer we go get the 4-Wheler and haul it out but don't use the 4-Wheeler to ride around on for pleasure or to get to our stand....we respect other Hunter's there and try not to disturb or scare Deer out of the area,just one of our rules to respect each other!

If possible You may be able to even drive a Truck closer to where You have harvested a Deer...those are 1 of many things You need to work out hopefully ahead of time to make the whole Hunting process easier or if You happen to Hunt with another Friend You simply help each other.

Bow Hunting as mentioned is even more time consuming and difficult in getting a Deer becasue You have to watch Your scent even more and the Deer will have to be much closer for a shot...but it is very rewarding and You get more time out in the Woods to hunt from Sept 15 to Jan 15.Cost of Archery Equipment can be just as or more costly than buying a Rifle depending on the brand and quality of Bow You buy!

Choosing a good affordable Rifle can take time and lots of research to decide whats right for You there are lots of different Calibers and style of Guns to choose from.You are allowed to Hunt with .223 Rifles but I would go a step up and consider a .243,it will have light recoil and does a fine Job,other's opt to go bigger but in the end good shot placement is needed to be efficent in any Rifle You choose!The 30-30 is a good choice if Your Hunting thicker woods and the recoil is light on it also and with the Hornady "LeveRevolution" bullets it will reach out a lot further,a 7mm-08 is a good Caliber with great knock-down power and light recoil....the 30-06,.308,25-06 and .270 will do a great job and have plenty of knock-down power with more recoil,most of these calibers can be tamed down to a lighter recoil when using the Remington managed recoil shells but need to be used in a Bolt-Action,Pump or Lever Action Rifle since it may not eject well out of a Sem-Automatic Rifle with the less powder and lighter recoiling!

Read up on all the different Caliber Rifles and hopefully You can get the chance to shoot a few different Rifle before buying one for Yourself?There are lots of great Rifles out there that are well made and affordable for someone new getting started into Hunting.Anything in a Magnum Caliber will usually have higher felt recoil and Factory Ammo will be pretty expensive so thats another thing You need to check inot...availability and price of Ammo!
I have a .308 & 30-06 and I feel comfortable shooting them, so that is what I'll probably do as soon as I get to talk to a game warden about carrying it in a truck. Never had that issue as I havn't gone to the range alone.

I was thinking of trying to learn a bow, for the longer season. I also think the experience would be more.

I thank you for your answer.