HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 2013 Picture post and bragging thread
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2013, 07:30 PM
superstrutter
Nontypical Buck

First bird of the year. A nice Louisiana longbeard. This bird finally made it to my property after listening to him gobble half a mile away the past two weekends. This past Wednesday I filmed him on the pipeline strutting. I set up this morning where I saw him Wednesday. Daylight came with no gobbles. I yelped a few times in the next hour but still no gobbles. About 8:30 I decided to get up and move. When I came out to the pipeline there were about 7 or 8 hens on the line about 75 yards to my left. Unfortunately they saw me and busted out of there. I knew the longbeard had to be with them. Sure enough he pops out of some high grass on the line about 150 yards to my left. He crossed the line into a clearcut next to my property. The hens flew to my property and he was wanting them to come back. I waited a few minutes and gave a series of yelps. He immediately answered. He eventually made it back to the line and was coming fast to where I busted the hens. Only problem was I wasn't there. I would softly call and he would gobble. I started back in the woods towards him. I am now in the woods looking for a tree to sit by when he lets out a gobble right by me. I immediately dropped to my stomach. There was no time to set up by a tree. I was lying flat with my gun ready. He circled around to my right. I finally saw him coming. When he went behind a tree I moved towards him still lying on my stomach. It was real thick where he was, so I had to be very patient in getting a shot. He finally gave me a shot and it was over. The shot was about 25 yards. Busting those hens gave me the chance I needed to get this bird. The gobblers over here are henned up bad and are gobbling very little. He weighed 17.4 pounds, beard was 10", and both spurs were an inch.
Attached Images