HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Letting Young Kids Kill Deer: Is It Right?
Old 03-22-2013, 08:28 PM
Chopayne
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by kgkoon
I see many pictures of kids 6, 7, 8, 9 years old who have killed deer. People on my lease let their young kids kill deer. I have always had a problem with this. Why should a kid who is too young to drag a deer out of the woods and clean it, be allowed to kill that same deer? Isn't there some type of responsibility that goes with killing an animal? Doesn't this foster sloppy hunting ethics? I had to hunt with my dad WITHOUT a firearm until I was old enough to field dress a deer and clean it myself. It seems like parents today are so caught up in trying to get their kids a deer they are forgetting to teach them the basics. To me, it is nothing more than a target range if all the kid has to do is pull the trigger while daddy holds the gun steady. Any thoughts?
Why shouldnt a kid who is too young to drag a deer out of the woods and clean it be allowed to kill the same deer?

Just because the parents field dress and drag the animal out doesn't mean theyre neglecting teaching of the basics. I don't know how this would foster sloppy hunting ethics, the kids will do all that when they grow older, but until then, the parents just pick up the slack. In the end it just all depends on how you want to raise your kid as long as you're not doing anything illegal.

I hope this didnt come off caustic or argumentative, just giving you my opinion = )

Last edited by Chopayne; 03-22-2013 at 08:31 PM.