HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Do you remember your first deer and your first deer on your own?
Old 03-02-2013, 11:00 AM
schickster
Spike

I only started to hunt when i was 28 but shot a buck the first year. I can remember it like it was yesterday. I was sitting in a wooden tree stand in a little patch of woods that deer go thru to get to a bedding area when I saw a line of deer heading my way. I was counting as they passed and when I was up to 7 does I said to myself well the last one is mine. I brought my Marlin 30/30 up and just as I was putting the crosshair on her I saw another deer just behind her. I'm glad I waited till that deer came thru it turned out to be a nice five pointer. I have been hunting 24 years this past season and have had lady luck on my side with only 2 years with no luck. I still hunt that same little patch of woods and this season opening day saw 7 deer total and 4 were bucks. Scored a nice seven pointer for the freezer. Still get a thrill when I bring one home just getting a little tougher to drag home.