HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Shotgun Loads and Chokes for Coyotes!
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013, 07:47 PM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

Default Shotgun Loads and Chokes for Coyotes!

The shotgun is a very versatile predator calling weapon. Whether you're calling over a shotgun as your primary, or simply using it as "backdoor prevention" while calling over a rifle, the shotgun is right at home putting fur in the dirt.

Predator hunters need dense patterns with enough pellet count to reach out on "long-for-a-shotgun" shots, but also need enough pellet weight and size to do the job when it gets there. Choosing the right load and choke combination is critical in predator hunting, and unfortunately, many new predator hunters feel as if they are drifting into uncharted waters, but fear not: Welcome to the world of Buckshot!

Rule #1: YOU MUST PATTERN YOUR SHOTGUN BEFORE TAKING IT AFIELD. Below are ranges for choke constrictions appropriate for various shot sizes, which I offer as a guide, but what YOUR particular shotgun likes may vary slightly. These rules below were derived by blowing a lot of money down range while patterning and a lot of fur in the dirt over the years out of a dozen or so shotguns with various chokes.

00buck: Choke = imp cyl or light mod, wanting something in the 0.715-0.720" ballpark. Buffered buckshot seems to do better with the tighter side, even reaching down to a modified choke, standard buckshot seems to do better with improved. The limitation here is that there are only 8-15 pellets, so at any substantial range, the pattern density is very low. I have used Winchester Super-X 00Buck for over 20yrs on coyotes, 2.75", 3", and 3.5". This is a great "stand-by" load for a guy that wants a load that's on the shelf at any shop, and doesn't require specialized chokes (same chokes you'd use for upland wingshooting). It would kill a coyote at 100yrds if you could connect, but the pattern density is terrible past 50, so the shot count is really range limiting.

#1-#3 buck: Choke = Mod, Imp Mod, or Light Full (obviously light full will likely be too tight for #1 buck, but may work for #3 buck), something in the 0.700-0.710" ballpark. Hard to come by, but much better pattern density and pellet count than 00buck. The Federal loads are great, pattern very well for me, and have smacked coyotes like a truck the few times I have used them in the field.

#4 buck: Choke = Light Full, Full, X-full is iffy, usually 0.680" seems to be the bottom end for my shotty's, you might get lucky with a 0.660" or 0.655" turkey choke, but my best performance is 0.675-0.680". I'm using an old version of the Carlson's Dead Coyote Choke in 0.680". The Federal #4 buck is quickly becoming my favorite load for coyotes over the last two years. Find me some #4buck in heavier-than-lead for about $2.50-3.00 a shot and I'd never shoot anything else. Great pellet count, good penetration, tight patterns = great range.

T, BB, and B: Choke = Full to X-full, might be able to get as low as 0.650-0.660", but 0.680" has patterned better for me. MUST be heavier than lead to get decent penetration and good stopping power. Lots of shot, but not much pellet weight. Have heard reports of guys getting a LOT of run off coyotes with the Winchester X-tended Range High Density Coyote B shot, but I've yet to get enough of them to try in the field yet personally. Carlson's Dead Coyote Hevi-shot T shot gave me holes in my patterns and flyers with 0.655" and 0.660" chokes, but pattern BEAUTIFULLY with 0.680" old version of the Carlson's Dead Coyote Choke. The Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote T shot load is fantastic, but at $5 a shot, I gave up on it.

As you can see, there is definitely more than one way to skin a cat... or coyote, or fox... Whichever comes into your call... There are multiple load and choke combinations suitable for predators, and every shotgun behaves just a little differently, so patterning is vital. These guidelines should serve as a jumping off point to try out new loads in your scattergun, see what it likes, and get in the field after some songdogs.

Last edited by Nomercy448; 01-16-2014 at 09:22 AM.