HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Which is better, Duracoat or Cerakote?
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013, 06:56 AM
doubleA
Typical Buck

I use both and they both offer better protection over regular spray paints.

Duracoat isnt quite as durable and tough as Cerakote but comes in a vast array of colors. Cerakote H, does require the baking of parts which I like because a couple hours after coating you can re-assemble and the firearm is ready. Duracoat on the other hand really needs time to cure for it's full hardness, that's usually about 2 weeks. Sure you can handle coated parts in 2-3 hrs afterwards and assemble in 24hrs but a full cure takes a while.

As with any painting/coating, the preperation is very important for a good job. I would recommend following the manufactures recomendations. Basically parts need blasting with 120 grit aluminum oxide, total submersion degreasing and flash heating. Handling parts with bare hands is a no no and nitrile gloves are a good choice. Again CeraKote H requires an oven to cure, 250-300degrees is required, if you are doing a barreled action a fairly big oven is needed. Cerakote also makes a type that doent need baking but I have no experience with it. It's for things that cant not be baked such as scope and some plastic parts or stocks.

Here's a 5 color Duracoat digital on one of my 6.5's

Cerakote Sniper Grey