HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How do you decide?
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013, 07:13 AM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

I really look at a couple things..

Can both guns do the same job as well or is one better suited to my needs.

Can I physically enjoy each rifle equally for their intended purpose. Here is a case where I examine what physical requirements the gun my call for. If its going to be a walking rifle, then I look at weight and balance. It it is going to be a stand rifle, where I sit for hours a day, then weight really means very little to me.

Then I look at which rifle I really like the looks of. Does one stand out more then the other. When I purchased the Optima for instance.. I could have purchased the thumb-hole stock model. But that camouflage thumb-hole stock was rear end ugly in my opinion. While the black and stainless always does appeal to me.

And then of course price. Is one really worth that much more then the other to make it a better choice? Also this is a very good time (as my Dad used to call it) to get cheap. When I would ponder the purchase of something, he used to say.. get cheap. Do you really have to have that item? If the answer was no, but I can afford it, then it was not important which one I selected. But I can not tell you how many times I entirely talked myself out of a purchase too.

Lets face it .. we don't need all these rifles we own. My Dad survived for years with one shotgun, a .22 rifle and a military surplus rifle. In fact when he comes to my house and goes in my gun room, he just shakes his head and laughs at me. So you need to ask.. which one trips my bubble? And then go with your gut feeling.