HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - A Girl and Her First Bear (Me!)
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 05:19 AM
Chopayne
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by NebBuckHunter
Wyoming, and several other states are set up with a preference point system. Each year you are unsuccessful in the lottery draw, you are awarded a preference point (you can also just purchase a point each year and opt out of the draw for that year). When they go to the lottery to draw tags, people with the most preference points are chosen first, and move on down the line. So people with max points get their tag first. Say the max point for a particular unit is 10. Once everyone with 10 points has their tags, then they move on to people with nine points, eight points, and so on until the tags are gone. For example, a Wyoming Moose tag in certain units lately have been taking 12-15 points to draw a tag. That's 12-15 years of unsuccessful draws, (@ $75 per year) before even being able to pull a tag. That's $1125 BEFORE paying for the out of state license, (another $1000). And that is for ONE elk, and you can't shoot any bears, deer, antelope, etc you just see wandering around.

Antelope take 0-6 points depending on the unit, elk 0-20 points to put things into perspective......

Hopefully that cleared it up a it for ya....
Haha I was thinking that I would be able to cut down on the costs of my meat by hunting. Looks like im better off buying ribeyes at the local supermarket if im worried about costs.