HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What broad head has the largest cut dia?????
Old 02-14-2013, 08:49 AM
fletch920
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by CamoCop
first of all, a whitetails shoulder blades are no where near as toughas a steel barrell. the shoulder blade is just cartilage, not bone. secondly, i said fixed heads are tougher and even explained why. thirdly, if your fixed blade is shot straight through the heart/lungs and a larger expandable is shot through the same spot with no bone interference...you will find your deer sooner than you will with a small fixed head. it's really that simple, more total cutting curface equals more blood loos and larger holes, i stand by my statement.

i do agree with your assessment on Rage's. i have killed deer with them but the blades and head were trashed. also mechanicals take alot more KE and MO to work perfectly. alot of people don't have this and shoot them anyway. my bow shoots 323 fps and has 92 lbs. of KE. i have no trouble putting a 2" Grim Reaper Whitetail Special through a deer's shoulder blades and deep into the dirt on the other side.

by the way, i don't shoot Rage's anymore and haven't for a long time. also i'm not so cheap that i feel the need to reuse a broadhead. if i have to replace a broadhead for every found deer that i shoot, i believe that is a good trade off.
First, the shoulder blade is in fact bone. You can actually get more total cutting surface from a fixed three or four blade head than you do a large 2 blade. Shot through the heart, a large expandable will in no way drop the deer any faster than a small fixed head. You missed on all counts. Shoot what you want, but your reasoning is quite flawed.