HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New bow hunter
Thread: New bow hunter
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2013, 07:07 AM
HDMontana
Typical Buck

Merkdog, I can't stress enough what others have said about going to a good archery shop and get measured for draw length and comfortable poundage that you can handle. A good shop should do this for free. Also, don't get hung up on a brand name. All the companies out there warranty their bows for life. I have worked in various archery pro shops over the years and I have yet to run into a company that has not taken care of the customer. Most usually go above and beyond and replace parts free of charge that the customer admitted to breaking or causing the failure themselves. You need to shoot a few bows that you like and buy the one that feels the best to you. Most of the companies have package deals that start around the $500.00 mark. They are good bows that will work well for someone starting out. Keep in mind when looking at a package deal if you will be happy with the accessories that are coming with the bow, or will you be replacing them soon. If so you would be better off buying a bare bow and adding what you will like to it. This is also where a good archery shop comes in handy. They should give you an honest assessment of the equipment and suggestions for improvement. You can find some good deals at the big box stores but archery shops tend to give better service if you buy from them. If you consider a used bow, also purchase at a reliable source or have someone who is very knowledgeable of bows look at it for you before buying. Cracked limbs can be hard to spot sometimes. Archery is a wonderful and sometimes addicting sport. Good luck. HD.