HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Harvester or MMP
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2013, 06:16 PM
sabotloader
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by chaded
Sabotloader I must ask because I don't know, but what does being easily bent or shaped (pliable) contribute to a sabot in loading in cold weather over a Harvester? I have not seen an issue nor a difference in either one in loading in cold weather.
Because the sabot remains pliable even in the cold weather it still retains its ability to stretch and be compressed to fit through the crown and down the bore. Two other advantages to the pliability of the MMP is that when in the bore it conforms itself to the bore filling the grooves and allowing the the lands to make a full impression in the sabot. With these properties it eliminates most if not all slippage across the lands and grooves at ignition. The sabot starts turning the minute it is pushed by pressure. The second of that is eve ncold weather it conforms to and grips the projectile stopping slippage of the sabot around the bullet. It is a huge big deal that a very light polymer sabot will start to turn right away but getting the dead heavy projectile to turn with it without slipping is a chore.

The donwn fall of the MMP formulation is HEAT... if the barrel gets really hot or the ambient temperture gets warm the MMP becomes to pliable and all the good things go away...

If you have any MMP HPH sabots - throw them and some harvesters in the freezer for a few hours and see which one might be more pliable when you bring them out. That little extra bit of pliability makes a world of difference in the two gripping jobs that a sabot must do, especially in sub-freezing weather.

These are just my observations and I have shot them both quite a bit... but really do prefer MMP in the hunting situation.

Last edited by sabotloader; 02-09-2013 at 06:59 PM.