HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Playing In Mud Puddles
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 08:33 AM
Semisane
Boone & Crockett

Default Playing In Mud Puddles

I had another range session with the Omega X7 and .429/240 grain Deep Curls last Saturday. I'll post the target results in another thread, but this one is about a mud puddle and bullet performance.

We've had a lot of rain in the first half of January. The ground on our hunting lease is so soggy that even though the soil is sandy and drains fairly rapidly, the loggers pulled out because their equipment was getting bogged down in slush.

We had bright sunny days Friday and Saturday, but the bullet impact trenches behind each of the targets on our hunting club rifle range were still holding water.

Here's a picture of the 50 yard target frame I used Saturday. You can see the bullet impact point twenty yards behind the target.

Here's a closer picture of the impact trench filled with water.

As I said, I was shooting .429 240 grain Speer Deep Curl HPs. One of the loads shot was 95 grains of GOEX FFg. Another load was 95 grains Pyrodex RS, which generally gives a higher velocity than GOEX.

Returning to my childhood, I played in that mud puddle a bit, recovering shot bullets.

Here's what I found. Frankly, I can't imagine better bullet performance (at least in a mud puddle ).