HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 18 Point non typical
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 04:44 AM
DocD
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by OLDFORDLOVER
The man at the deer processing facility gave me back 160 lbs of frozen meat and when I asked about the weight he said he had not weighed it before starting to skin it out, but on average they lost about 40 - 45% after gutting and skinning out. If that is true then that puts him at the 300 mark didn't have scales in the woods!
And yes I did take the deer inside the preserve but 1200 acres +/- is still a lot of woods, creek bottoms and steep ridges. I am old and overweight but I bet I can hide from you in that amount of property and terrain and I am not a deer!! And it is not like shooting cattle, as someone posted, they certainly are wild deer and not hand raised at all. He is able to work towards bigger mature bucks by controlling harvest and closely watching and thinning doe numbers so as to keep buck doe ratio at about two to one. I saw one taken there same time frame scoring probably 160 main frame 10 point taken outside the preserve with a bow on some of his land.
I have no Idea what the deer weighted nor do I care, I believe the the average weight loss is more like 60 percent, (not that it matters). any animal raised in an enclosure, be it one acre or a thousand is certainly not wild.

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Unreal that people on here could look at the FRONT end of that buck and say ANYTHING about his weight! That buck has unreal mass and if he was taken where the guy said I have no doubt it could hit 300# live weight. It also may have been taken within a high fence, but if it was in that type country in 1200 acres it sure as heck wasn't like hunting cattle in a pen either!!! A buck that old could probably hide from you in 10 acres with the proper cover!
This is a farm animal, it would not or could not hide from anyone, these fenced animals have really lost most, if not all of their ability to survive in the wild, Remember this deer is alive only because someone choose to let him get bigger, not because of the deer being old & cunning.

Originally Posted by DeppedyDogg
Soooo true Topgun. Truer words....
Don't confuse this animal with a wild one, this is a caged animal, that is why they are not scored for the record book, I am not "Knocking it" if it works for someone I say go for it, but I don't see the thrill in shooting a caged animal. Not a lot different than shooting a cow, at 1200 acres the where-abouts of this animal is known at all times. jmop Doc

Last edited by DocD; 01-18-2013 at 05:00 AM.