HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Canning question.
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 03:29 PM
flyinlowe
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Jenks
Flyinlowe--That guy in the video(Steve Hall??) seems to know what he is doing. He does give a little longer processing time then my directions give, but that won't hurt anything. I think you are right, cold pack and hot pack can be used for both procedures. Congrats on getting a fine canner. The All American is the Cadillac of canners. They also have a web site like Presto's and you can download directions, parts list, etc. there. I also have one of them, I got it used too and didn't know what a good canner it was until I checked around. I have not canned meat, but I will can some of my next deer. I am always short on freezer space, the wife keeps them filled with "bargans". I garden too, and garden stuff fills freezers fast. I think you probably have a good handle on the deer canning bit, just do what the video said, except you will have to watch a pressure gage like I have to. The newer All Americans have a weight on the lid like that Presto has, you don't have to watch a gage with them. Good luck.
I know the guy goes on and on about how good the canned venison is but I can tell you based on experience that he is correct. The small jar I ate last year was by far the best venison I had ever eaten. It was fall apart tender and had a great flavor. The best thing about it is that like the video mentions even the tough cuts come out good. The guy I got the jar from last year told me he butchers about 10 deer each season. All the stuff that he called "junk" cuts are what he cans. He said the meat that is not good enough to go into the sausage pile or the grinder gets canned. After eating that one jar I decided I was going to kill an extra doe this year and can a bunch of it. The doe I killed yesterday will have the loins and back strap removed and then about 15 pounds for summer sausage and I am cubing the rest of it up. Depending on how much I end up with I am going to grind about 10 pounds or so and can the rest. I have no idea how much cubed meat the pint jars will hold so I have no idea how many jars I will have to can or I will end up with.
I also looked inside the canner I bought and the original manual was in it. It is in pretty rough shape but had a lot of good info in it.