HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Canning question.
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 05:30 AM
Jenks
Nontypical Buck

I notice that you mentioned the other guy used a "cold Pack" method. I think that is usually a term used when a water bath canner is used. Those are the blue enamel jobs that do not build up any pressure. They are great for canning garden foods that are acid, or have enough acid added. In those you cover the jars completely with water. It is easy to get the directions confused, some are for water bath canning, others are for a pressure cooker. In a pressure cooker I don't think you want to get the water too high because the rigorous boiling may throw water up into the pressure gage and the steam valve. But you do want enough that you do not boil it all off in 90 minutes. My pressure cooker directions say to have about two inches of water in the cooker before the jars are added. I usually top it up a little after the jars are added, I don't want it to boil dry. I have never had it even close to boiling dry so maybe that is an unnecessary worry. If your state has a Univ. of Indiana Extension Service, call them up. They will have some directions that they will send to you about how to do it right.