HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Which Camo
Thread: Which Camo
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 07:50 AM
7.62NATO
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 3seasons
ASAT-my friend & I learned about this several years ago now & he rec'd a few garments at Christmas. We did a comparison test. I understand deer "see" differently but, we were both able to pick out the ASAT much easier than the NatGear pattern in various backgrounds(including different seasons)-and he is color blind
Exactly though. Deer see differently. But more importantly, they think differently. You are not showing two hunting patterns for a deer and then asking them which one they can see more easily in cover. Remember, you are searching for the ASAT pattern with your eyes and finding it because you know what to look for. The deer are looking for movement and the shape of a human or other predator. Also you are comparing several different colors of camo in a setting that closely matches it's specific colors vs one camo in those same settings. That's the thing about ASAT; it does well even without cover. From a distance the Nat Gear is going to "blob up" much more than ASAT will; there simply isn't enough contrast.

I'm not saying that Nat Gear is bad stuff or that you haven't had good experience with it. Most of the time its about playing the wind, being quiet, and being still or unseen. But there is no doubt in my mind that camo can play a critical role in the right situation, and that can make or break the season!