HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Stay in same stand all day? or move?
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2002, 08:21 PM
NattyBumpo

Default RE: Stay in same stand all day? or move?

I tend to spent the hold day in the woods, not always in the same stand. Some stand I hunt tend to be morning stands, others evening, some are both. I've got one stand that's in a thicket with alot of plant growth that the deer seem to like, I've seen deer from this stand at all times of the day. I've hunted this stand off and on for about 10 years, I try to rotate between my stands so not to over hunt a area, or wise up the deer. This approach seems to keep the stands fresh.
There also seems to be Buck and Doe stands and even these tend to change between Bow and gun season. This year instead of hunting a buck stand (the deeper, heavier cover stands)I decided to take advantage of this fact; so opening day I setup in one of the more open doe stands and filled both of my doe tags with some very large does, saw 24 altogether. The next day moved to one of the deeper stands, saw a few doe,(that I normally would have shot) then came the bucks. Missed a very large hard running buck, passed up a 4pt, then I killed a 8pt with a 15" inside spread. It was one of six bucks chasing a very hot doe.
So maybe you should look at your stands in the same way and find out when it's prime time for each of them.