HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Michigan misdemeanor question...
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 07:51 AM
Topgun 3006
Giant Nontypical

That's the whole problem when Judges don't have any idea about game offenses because there aren't that many brought before them. The amount of the fine seems high, but it isn't real bad compared to what it could have been. By the time you appeal that verdict the hunting season will be long gone and it would probably take an expensive lawyer to help you do it. I would take a deep breath, put your equipment away for the year, and look towards next year and learn from your mistake, as I don't think you can do much now. He could have possibly even given you a longer no hunting sentence and that would extend to about 40 states that are in the Wildlife Violator Compact with MI. I think you need to look at it that it was your screwup, whether intentional or not, so grin and bear it until it's time to turkey hunt in April, as that will be here before you know it! The law says that tag is to be cut out and put on the bird Immediately afer kill and it usually is done on a leg between the spur and foot in case you aren't aware of that. Take care and try to have a Happy Holiday season!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-18-2012 at 07:57 AM.