HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Which E-caller?
Thread: Which E-caller?
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 06:48 AM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

I've only played a little bit with the Alpha Dogg (a buddy has one). My first impression when I saw it is that it's a lot of flash, and little substance. Moving parts and coyote hunting aren't good bed-fellows, so I initially predicted that the Alpha Dogg would be prone to having the folding legs and even folding side speakers break off.

My buddy has had his for about a year now, used it last season and this season so far a bit. He left it on the flatbed once and when it fell off, it broke one of the folding legs. The other he broke off by dropping it, so now it's leg-less. One of his side speakers pivots has worked loose, so now it hangs funny when it's folded in, and it basically points straight up when calling (not an issue).

The sound is decent, remote range is better than any of the other Primos callers (not nearly as far as it says it should be, but it's "huntable"), but it still has Line-of-Sight issues. If you can't see it, it won't respond to the remote. Very small issue, but I would also want the handle to be integrated instead of bolted on, and I'd prefer the handle to be closed, so a guy can tie a carry string to it. The "Expert Hunts" sound like a great idea, and I'm sure it helps them sell a lot of units to guys that don't know anything, but for a real hunter, they're useless. I'd much rather have the ability to program my own hunts (which IS possible, you just have to make your own sound file, then embed it on the AD).

For the price point on the Alpha Dogg, I'm just not impressed. Even with the issues I've seen from it, if it were a less-than-$200 caller, I'd think about it (as an ADDITION to my line-up, but I would NOT give up my Spitfire or Wildfire for an Alpha Dogg). At $300+, I have zero interest in it.