HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Wool Colthing
Thread: Wool Colthing
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2012, 06:47 PM
Alsatian
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by elkoholic41
Been researching wool clothing,thinknin of heading that direction as far as clothing.Just got back from my colorado elk hunt and made the decision,its time to change clothing. A local hunter that i know out there swears by king of the mountain wool, wow its expensive!. Anyone familiar with cabelas brand wool? or any recommendations?
I've got some recommendations: used wool. Get some M51 army surplus wool trousers on the web -- probably $30 or less. These are medium weight wool trousers. They are durable and warm and 100% wool. They are just as good as ANY medium weight wool trousers and much cheaper. Find a Pendelton 100% wool shirt on Ebay or other site for $25 and buy it. I've bought new Pendleton at $80/shirt; I've bought used Pendleton at $20/shirt. Both perfectly good and serviceable. I also use a Filson wool vest that I love, but I bought new at $125. Obviously no deal there, but maybe you can find something like this on sale somewhere?

Wool is great. It is warm when wet. When it is warm outside, wool is not as hot as you might expect it to be. Wear a base layer of wicking fabric -- polypropylene or Under Armor stuff -- beneath the wool. Also, wool is silent. You are right to make the move to wool.