HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Best Guns For White Tails?
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2012, 05:44 PM
Grizzly13
Spike

You said GUNS and not CALIBERS ? It mostly depends on the individual and the terrain. I have buddies with the best guns money can buy, but if you can't put the bullet where it counts, you might just as well use a rubberband and a paperclip ! LOL Bolt actions are my choice because of the accuracy. My 06 Rem pump in Maine for fire power and being able to retain the target quicker. Calibers also can be a concern on terrain, heavier grainers for thick and the lighter wind bucking spire points for long open ranges. I also have alot of experience with the shotguns because I reside in PA now I'm on the border of NJ and still hunt our old dairy farm. NJ has always been shotgun, we were only allowed to use buckshot when I was a young lad but now we can use slugs also. Some of my thicker minded friends still use buckshot ( LOL) but I prefer the slug with a rifled barreled gun. I have used a Ithica 37 pump slug gun with a fixed rifled barrel for the last 25 yrs and love it. 3 inch groups at 100 yds all day long. (Pretty good for a 12 gauge slug) I use federal sabots 2 3/4 inch. Spent alot of money over the years experimenting on which slugs work best. But in the last three years I purchased a 20 gauge HR single barrel rifled slug gun that shoots like a High powered rifle. I can shoot 3 shots in 1" moa at 100yds, it is unbelievable ! Alot of us use these now some in 12 gauge and some in 20. They are cheap to purchase and probably out shoot any factory or even custom shotgun out there. I hope this blabering helped you some.