HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Deer mount
Thread: Deer mount
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 01:40 PM
Jasonlester
Nontypical Buck

Default Deer mount

Ok I have a question for you guys. What makes a deer worthy of mounting it for you. Taxidermy isn't cheap. What things about a buck makes you want to get it mounted.

I know, or thought I did, what these things are for me.

I killed a 153" 10 point in 2007 and it was no question to mount him. He was also the first buck I did this with...partially because of money...but also my previous bucks were small. So I had said to myself I won't mount another one until I get one bigger than that one.

Enter this years buck...now I missed one buck in 2008 with a bow (fletching hit a twig) that would have been as big or bigger....and then I had another I lost (neighbor killed it later in the year) but I have not killed a buck since... but this year I took an 8 point...doesn't score great or anywhere close to the '07 buck but dang is he pretty. I saw him with my daughter a few weeks prior to season across the farm (not far from where I shot him) She was calling it her buck (sorry baby) but it worked out that he showed up for me...so this buck was one I wanted to mount...but it dawned on me after I shot him that its not really a size of deer thing for me, or not totally...its more a memory and one that suites my fancy....plus I can afford it better now...

So tell me what does it take for you...is it mere size...or are you more like me...or something totally different...or do you think people are crazy for spending that much money on a mount...whatever