HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - newbie
Thread: newbie
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 07:13 AM
corey012778
Nontypical Buck

Any tricks on loading? can't really help there, don't own an impact, but I am a fan of 85grs of any loose powder and a 250gr bullet
What do you use to clean the barrel? look below
Do you need to prepare the barrel for first time use? 100 to 200 strokes of jb bore paste
Bore butter - good or bad? good for a full bore conical and patch round ball lube, would not use it as bore coating.
Do you clean between every shot and what do you do to clean it at the range or in the field? I swab between shot at the range, one wet patch and one dry both sides on both, I don't do any cleaning in the field. if you camp when on your trip set up a muzzleloader cleaning and have it with you. just case you fire your gun.
I have primer and pellets from years ago. Do the new powders make a difference? I would go with loose powders you can customize your loads much better.

MY method for cleaning a muzzleloader. after I get shooting while still at the range, I spray some type of cleaning solution down the barrel, windex is great for that. 2 dry patches to clear the solution out then a rubbing alcohol patch then a dry patch . when I get home, I break the gun down placing the breech plug in a cleaning solution (pyrodex or t7 powders) let it soak until I am done cleaning the rest. a bore brush, spray down of a cleaning solution, dry patch. patch soak in either windex, blue wolf, or 3 rivers cleaning and patch lube. dry patch, rubbing alcohol patch, dry patch, remoil patch down the barrel. put everything back together.

now writing it down, my way seem a little over kill lol