HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - It'll be over soon.
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 05:16 AM
Breechplug
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by falcon
Except for archery season that is open until 15 January and the holiday doe season its all over in OK.

Had a lot of fun, got a lot of good exercise and saw a lot of deer. Passed on numerous deer including two good bucks. Passed on one of the bucks because i could not see the front bead on my New Englander. Passed on another buck because it would have been a very long drag through an area that had a bad ice storm in January 2010. Theres about 3,000 acres of downed trees and tree limbs.

Took one fat doe the day after Thanksgiving. May try for another one during the Christmas-New Year holidays. May get out the crossbow and try for a buck.

Breechplug, here is a technique that has worked well for me and my friends who hunt my scrapes. Find a woodline that borders a field. Usually the woodline is the border of a dominant bucks territory. Find active scrapes or make fake scrapes. Douse them with doe in heat pee and buck pee; then a small container with a 1/8" hole in the bottom is filled with cotton balls and buck/doe pee mixed is poured in. This is hung over the scrape about 6' off the ground: It drips a few drops per day and keeps the scrape fresh. That often gets the bucks attention, many times they start checking the scrapes in the daytime.

Breechplug; i hope you get that big buck.
That's what Im hoping for falcon. Our late MLer season started this morning and here I sit watching the pouring wind pounded rain hit my windows in my kitchen while Im sitting here drinking coffee, not what I exactly had planned for the opener. They say this will all change over to snow for tonight and that's all I can hope for right now, and mabey with this front moving in the deer will move.
Funny you should mention Scrapes, with the comming of our late mler season also starts our Second Rut. Even though the buck and doe population is now down there's still some big ol boys that will be looking for some love and with not so many does available there's the chance to catch one on the prowl.
Now again funny you should mention buck and doe in heat pee, since the ending of our bow and the beginning of our rifle season is when our first rut is on. I have all my buddys Save me the Pee from the Does that the bucks were following that were in heat, and all the pee from the bucks that were taken, so I have pleanty of fresh buack and doe in heat urine.
It's not that I cant find bucks, it's just that I've had the worst luck picking the stands in wich to sit in the year. All the stands we build are made out of pressure treated wood, there all our stands and we just chose wich one were going to hunt out of that day and go there. Some nice bucks were taken out of stands that I almost went to on that day or I was just a couple of hundred yards away from one of my friends in a stand where he shot a good one, just bad luck on my part. Plus I must have seen over 100 does and 30+ bucks while hunting our rifle season, so Im not complaining about that, just the lack of not seeing the one I wanted.
Thank's for the Wish and I'll give it heck.
(BP)