HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Team #10 - Chasin' Tail Check-in
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 03:11 PM
LittleChief
Nontypical Buck

Went horseback riding with my wife Sunday afternoon. We were about a mile from the house when she said her saddle was loose, so I dismounted and tightened the girth on her saddle. When I was re-mounting something spooked my horse and she jumped forward as I was almost on and I ended up landing behind the saddle sitting on her hindquarters and I had no control. She freaked, reared up and then bucked me about 4 feet (according to my wife) above her butt which is about 5 feet, so I got 9 feet of air and slammed onto the ground on my right side.

It knocked the wind out of me plus I knew I was hurt.... I just didn't know how bad it was. I finally got my lungs filled with air and walked over to my horse, got on and started the long, painful ride home. We went to the emergency room where they did blood work, urine testing, x-rays and an ultrasound of my abdomen to make sure nothing had ruptured. Even though I was in severe pain that shone brightly through a double dose of morphine, they said that I had no broken ribs and the labs all came back okay.

Well, yesterday afternoon I coughed. Guys, I can take a lot of pain, but it felt like I'd been stabbed. I saw white and dropped to my knees. I went to MY doctor this afternoon. They took more x-rays and got the records from the ER. My doctor diagnosed two broken ribs (broken about an inch or so from the spine) and he also stunned me when he said that the ER reports said I had blood in my urine. They took another urine sample and said that it was clear this time, but we needed to keep an eye on that. I guess that I should thank my lucky stars that we were in a field that had been tilled recently instead of on hard ground, gravel or pavement. It could have been a LOT worse.

I know that I can't draw my bow. Heck, I can't even cast a bass rod. What the heck am I going to do for the next 6 to 8 weeks? I can't hunt, fish or do any real work around the house.

Now I'm really glad I took those three deer in Ohio. You know, I'm really starting to think that I need to steer clear of horses during bow season.

Well, it should be a little fun anyway. They put me on what they call a "pain management regimen". LORTAB 10-500 every six hours for two weeks along with muscle relaxers.