HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Virginia Rut Watch 2012
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012, 03:32 PM
7.62NATO
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cpljbuck
DROX, Here you go buddy. I have been hunting for 26 years and this is the biggest thing I have seen come through the woods. I ended up goiing out just to move my treestand for tomorrow. Three bucks came through that were not what I was looking for with one buck tag left. Then this guy brought up the rear fifty yards behind the others. Today is a good day. What I am seeing now though is bachelor groups again. Deer were everywhaer. While I was cleaning this one, a bigger buck came within fifty yards. Good luck tomorrow.
With your report in mind and my experience this past Saturday, plus the other recent reports here, it makes for a very confusing analysis of the rut, indeed. I heard numerous times that the rut really started picking up the last weekend of bow season. That made sense to me because on opening day of muzzleloader, I tagged an 8 chasing a doe. Maybe he was a 7. I digress. On Saturday, I passed on a 6 and a spike that passed within 10 yards of my stand. I thought "bachelor groups". But then, posts by ADVWannabee (is that a semi-auto?) and cpljbuck seem to contradict the notion of "bachelor groups." Is this the second rut they are seeing??