HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ever hate yourself after killing a deer?
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 08:18 PM
thomasmgp
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by SteveBNy
This for sure.
8 in a row?
More practice (not on live targets) or better shot selection.
I had the same problem last year. I actually missed 10 in a row with the rifle I was using. Found it the forestock had cracked so badly the barrel was pretty much just rolling around in there not attached to anything. So I missed everything. But as soon as I picked up another gun I could put 3 shots inside a quarter at 100 yards.

Also missing doesnt mean a person is a bad shot. I have pelted the center of a target at 100 yards all day long after a miss before and then the next day or even later that afternoon missed again. But I also suffer from extreme anxiety disorder and unless I was doped up on Xanex when Im in the stand, which I hated doing cause then I dont feel safe, I just start shaking and my heart goes crazy when I see a big deer in my sights. Its basically buck fever on steroids. I almost feel like Im having a heart attack even though I have had every cardiac test performed on me and they all come back normal. I literally cant control myself sometimes. So a lot of my shots missed. Luckily I found a new doctor who has me on a medication that doesnt make me feel doped up like Xanex and now I only miss if its a really long shot.

Also bad scopes can be a killer. I had one that fogged up all the time. Sent it back and they mailed me a new one that fogged up the first morning I hunted. I just threw the damn thing in the trash. Also Im about piss poor at judging distance. I actually have pink marking tape all over my farm for ranging deer. Every stand I have tape tied around something every 10 yards out starting at 50 and going to 250.

So just because someone misses a lot doesnt mean they need more practice. Hell if anything practicing on a live deer is the best thing. Anyone can shoot at a paper target. Hell when I was at summer camp I could shoot the center out of targets all day long with a .22 at 75 yards and I was only 10. But what happens when that 12 point is 150 yards out and its almost dark and you have been in the stand for 4 hours and your back and neck are stiff. Being able to hit a target in broad daylight with no pressure doesnt mean **** then.