HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ever hate yourself after killing a deer?
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 04:40 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

From the title my first thought was no....but that isn't true. I took a shot at a buck a few years ago on opening day of bow season. It was late in the day and getting darker by the minute. There were several doe and a couple fawn wandering thru about the same time. The buck ducked the string and I nailed a spotted fawn standing a couple feet behind it. I kicked myself for that. I tagged it as well because I killed it.
I rushed a shot on a doe last year because I had made a noise getting my rifle up and could tell the deer was on alert. trailed it for 4 hours in the swam till it got too dark and I was getting too tired to continue. Didn't hate myself but certainly regretted my lack of discipline in making that decision to fire.
You have a rule about shooting anything below a certain size. You made an error. Target identification, shooting conditions, perhaps other factors only you are aware of may have influenced this.
You also set out to harvest a deer and made a good ethical shot on deer and killed it humanely. I would forgive myself the error. You didn't shoot into brush because a deer had just run in there. You identified your target as a deer. You didn't place a human life in jeopardy. Learn whatever you can from it. I probably wouldn't break my equipment over it but I might spend a little time examining my rules for hunting and assessing the motivations behind them. I'm not trying to be a dbag but you are obviously bothered by what transpired and from your story, as an outsider, what stands out to me is destroying your equipment in a moment of anger. Being ashamed of what you did (and I don't think you should be because you simply made an error on what kind of deer it was) and telling a lie about something you consider embarrassing or shameful , assigning blame for that act on your father.
By the way, I commend you for having the courage to relate this story. There are many hunters who will never admit doing anything wrong.