HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ever hate yourself after killing a deer?
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 03:40 PM
Cypress32
Spike

Default Ever hate yourself after killing a deer?

So I have been in a massive slump. Missed 8 deer in a row and havent had a kill in two months. Well I had been seeing some nice does lately around one stand that I havent hunted in a while. So I decided to hunt it tonight. I hunted this same stand around 10 days ago and I had 4 nice does come running in from a nearby field and thought they were going to come into the field where my stand was so I would get a shot on one but they came around the corner and went into the woods. Also my camera had been seeing a group of 4-5 nice does feeding in the area so I figured Id just fill a doe tag to get out of my slump if I got the chance.

Well I had been in the stand an hour and hadnt seen anything. Watched some rediculously large turkeys feeding next to me but no deer. Then I looked to my right at an unplanted field and saw two fawns playing around. I watched them for a while and it started getting late so faced forward to turn off my thermocel and saw two does coming out of the woods. I brought up my rifle and they were nice sized. Also saw there was already a 3rd deer in the field with its back to me that must have come out while I was being entertained by the little ones to my right. The two that came out went right to the other one and I figured it had to be that group of does that I had seen before that hung out together. It was starting to get dark and I still have 3 doe tags to fill so I figured "What the hell even if its just a doe I need to end this slump" I ranged them at 147 yards and then put the crosshairs on the largest one and squeezed off a round.

Got really pumped when I saw belly white laying on the ground. Got on the 4-wheeler and went over to claim my prize. Well my joy ended in a hurry when I saw she was actually a he. It was a 3 pointer. I just never saw his rack cause most of the time he was facing away from me and it was pretty small so with the other two so close to him I might not have seen it anyways. Was so mad at myself for killing what might have been a great buck in a few years I kicked the front of my 4-wheeler crushing one of the headlights.

Took it over to the processing plant and said my dad shot it cause I wasnt about to claim him. He weighed in at 109 so at least I should get some good meat from him. But I let an 8 point walk a month ago just to have the next buck I shot be a little 3 pointer? That just pisses me off and probably will for the rest of the season. I broke my own rule of dont shoot anything 6 points and under. Oh well I guess we all make mistakes. Just wondering if anyone else has shot a "doe" with horns by mistake and felt bad about it.