HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - First time still hunting
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 06:39 AM
Mojotex
Nontypical Buck

I still hunt a good bit. And where I hunt, it is pretty thick. Lots of large trees. Swampy. Hollows. Creek bottoms. Under brush.

I have learned that it is almost impossible to move too slowly ! I find myself all too often not looking at every bit of what is out front before easing along some more. I try to use the shadows too cover my movements, keep the breeze in my face I figure is a must, and I stop often. I do not walk in a rythm, but rather a step or two as a time. Heal to toe, avoiding snapping twigs.

My shots are not going to be farther than 75 yards or so in this stuff. I carry a 444 Marlin "Guide". It is a tad heavy, but short and quick on the target. A plenty lethal for sure.

One piece of advice given to me on a squirrel hunt 50+ years ago I'll suggest. The man that substitued for my grandfather after grandpa died, Mr. Herman Goldman, taught me not to look the squirrel up in the tree, but to look for as he put it, "what ain't tree". That has served me very well ... a twitch, a horizontal line that is out of place, a curious lump, a solid blob among brush, twigs not wiggling in the wind, etc. Many times this technique has resulted in me seeing the deer before it knew I was in the area.