HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Yearly Lease vs Yearly Hunting trip - Whats your opinion
Old 11-29-2012, 09:38 AM
salukipv1
Giant Nontypical

I'm not crazy about leases, I'm on one and have been for 10 years?

Sure you can lease for a year for the same price as a 1 week outfitted hunt, I think if you do your homework you're more likely to take that trophy buck with that outfitter than your annual lease.

It all depends though I suppose on each situation, are you keeping trespassers off? I think an outfitter can do this better than the avg guy who leases and doesn't live locally but the outfitter does.

I think I just need to get in on a better lease situation. Our cousin shoots 2-3 dinky bucks a year and we're managing for "trophy bucks" and the guy has probably 15-20bucks by now, and will mount everything he shoots, how many dinky bucks does a guy need? his view though is shoot a buck or two and keep hunting and hopefully take a monster buck too, vs. letting those small bucks grow up but that may mean not shooting a buck this year, he's shooting a buck every year, because he's "the man"

personally I don't view the hunter who takes a dinky buck every year as being any better than the trophy hunter who gets skunked year after year...

I'm in on a cheap lease in a sense, so I'll get to hunt whitetails locally every year, but my goal is to try to go west or somewhere else every year for something new, elk, mulies, etc... I'd like to go after that NA10 and hunting whitetails every year and not going after other species doesn't get you the NA10.

one line I once read was, you can always hunt whitetails when you're old, you can't always hunt sheep when you're that same age... go on the tough hunts while you're young...

I just need to win that powerball and buy 1000acres