HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Saw 3 bears at C.F. Phelps Saturday morning
Old 11-29-2012, 07:04 AM
M38
Spike

Originally Posted by cpljbuck
I hacve always wanted to hunt bear, but I have not the first clue what to do. If there are Black Bear at Phelps, I woudl like to go there and try. Not that we share location secrets, but Phelps is a HUGE WMA. Would you share where you were when you spotted them M38? If it's going to bust up your deer hunting, then no worries. I'll research this summer and figure out how and where to go for next season, but if you're not out there I'd like to give a shot in the week of Christams.
I'll try to describe where I was at, though my understanding is bears have a pretty big territory and may be long gone. Besides you can't shoot a female with cubs and that would be the only reason three would be together.
The first parking area off the road that runs along the border of the WMA (Summerduck Rd?) - there is a gate that is open during deer season that lets hunters drive a mile into the WMA to a second parking area. Take the dirt road from there towards the river and you will run into another dirt road that goes to the right up a hill. Near the top of that hill on the right side is where I saw them.