HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 223 for deer?
Thread: 223 for deer?
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 02:01 PM
emtrescue6
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by huntingkidPA
people, deer don't were bullet proof vests. A .223 will kill a deer with proper shot placement just like other cartridges. People hunt deer with bows...a .223 will do the job. Plus if someone wants to/does hunt with one they obviously have good shooting skills and confidence in their weapon. I'd rather see that than a bunch off ...Deleted by CalHunter... carry a magnum and are scared of the recoil.
Making the "assumption" that "if someone wants to/does hunt with one they obviously have good shooting skills" makes absolutely no sense! Weapon chose has little to do with skills...

The common theme here is...shot placement is critical when using a 223...that alone indicates that the 223 is a marginal option for deer (again why several states don't allow their use on deer)...have I seen deer taken with a 223? Yup...did they all die quickly, yup...where all of the shots perfectly placed? Yup...have I seen deer taken with a 22LR? Yup...same scenario as with the 223. Shot placement and skill level and the ability to restrain ones self from taking a bad shot (when that huge buck presents itself) is most important when using "small tackle", and not everyone is of a high ethical standard and holds the skills to do this...

Last edited by CalHunter; 11-28-2012 at 09:27 PM.