HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - My son's first buck.
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 06:21 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
Man DPV, you AND your son are having an awesome season! Congrats! I can't wait until my kids are old enough to hunt with me. Did you hunt Powhatan WMA? Saturday was a doe day...I'm assuming it was crazy busy.

I took my sister out to hunt for the first time. We went in blind to some private land belonging to a friend of hers (neither of us had been there). I figured hunting there would be better than Powhatan WMA on a doe day. I think I need a ground blind. I saw deer in the thickets with my binoculars but she moved a lot when she got uncomfortable, and I'm thinking they spotted her. We also had our hunt stepped on by DEER DOGS from adjoining properties. Go to private land to avoid this crap and it still happens. If it were my property the dogs were crossing onto, well...S.S.S.

How do you like hunting out of a ground blind? Is your vision limited?

The blind is easier to set up than getting your stand up into a tree. Not easier to carry though because you also need something to sit on.
With my stand I bungee my pack to my stand and I can walk quite a distance without being fatigued. Advantage of the stand...vantage point. I think you can see farther. Advantage of the blind....it blocks the wind. The comfort level is way higher in the blind. I'm also in a pretty swank chair compared to the climber. If you set it up properly and use it smart it gives good cover. If you have all 4 sides open you are right in the deers line of sight and silhouetted.