HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Wool Colthing
Thread: Wool Colthing
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 01:41 PM
HatchieLuvr
Typical Buck

I LOVE me some good wool outerwear!!!

A couple years ago I found a STEAL on a pair of Columbia Gallatin Range wool bibs and JUMPED on it as I'd been wanting to try wool outerwear in place of my bulky, large goretex outwear I'd had for umpteen years. (Columbia bibs and oldschool Browning quad-parka)

I found them to be excellent, warm, VERY comfortable and not nearly as bulky as the other Columbia bibs I had. The only downside is they aren't fully waterproof and will give you fits if you walk through cuckleburrs, nettles, heavy briars etc... But most of my hunting is done in ladder stands with roofs and/or shooting houses so I don't require waterproof clothing while actually on stand. The wool will turn water/mist/snow fine and being wool, it actually still insulates should it get wet!

The Columbia wool bibs are sized correctly and the hem-line/length is very long for fitting and heming for each customer.

Then lastyear right after Christmas I caught a Browning Full-Curl 3n1 Parka on sale at MidwayUSA. It's a great coat as well tho cut a little tighter than the Columbia. If I had it to do allover again I would order the next size up in this Browning wool parka. With it's removable down vest the parka can be used during many different conditions. The Full Curl wool is windproof and HIGHLY water "resistant".

Short of sitting IN/ON snow or wet ground, both wools are "snowproof"... but snow is a rare treat during deer season in TN!

I've yet to find conditions to cold for the Columbia wool bibs! The Browning Full Curl parka is rather thin (compared to traditional material parkas) but I consider it sufficiently warm for stand hunting as long as temps remain above appx 35degs. (I seldom wear insulated underwear, vests, sweaters etc... usually just a thick flannel/chamois shirt and regular hunting pants) If below freezing temps are called for I still break out my old Browning Quad Parka (old, original Mossy Oak Treestand color. I want to say I got this coat in the late 80s, early 90s?) as it's full down liner and thick goretex shell trimmed in fleece is EXTREMELY warm! (But again, thick and bulky compared to the wool)

Now that I'm sold on wool outerwear I am considering upgrading my wool parka from:

Beaglewear; (of Benoit Brothers from Maine fame) their "Extreme Coat" appears to be VERY interesting to me!

Filson; their infamous "Double Mackinaw Cruiser". Tho quite expensive, this is perhaps THE Cadillac of wool parkas!

Woolrich; their "Classic Field Coat".

For those who've never wore quality wool outerwear... they'd never understand!
HL

ps
In cold weather I even wear a wool lined hat (Filson Insulated Packer Hat), my gloves are the old triedNtrue "Morris Feel Glove" type thin wool gloves and my warmest boots are my woolNfelt lined Sorel's. The biggest attraction to wool for me is the warmth it produces while still being thin and of course the comfort and silence of the material itself. I store all my hunting gear in a cedar closet at my farmhouse and when the time comes for it to really need a deep cleaning I just leave it out overnight in a steady rain (might sprinkle a little baking soda on it) then let it air/sun dry for a day or two. For "in between" cleanings a couple times a season I'll hang my hat, coat, whatevers on the fence during a bright, sunny day and let them air out. (I've NEVER let my wife "launder" my hunting equipment. Good way to have your favorite outfit come out smelling like a flower store OR fitting babies!) Even my 12 & 17yr old boys are beginning to ask for wool and realize "this old man might be right on a few things hunting related".