HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - My son's first buck.
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012, 07:25 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

I appreciate all the positive vibes. Just wanted to share because it meant so much to me and I love reading about the great hunts others have.
I hunted 10 years before killing my first deer. Had to learn everything on my own and make all my own mistakes. And also develop my own judgements and values on what is and isn't acceptable hunting. Almost all of my hunting has been on public land. And on public land around here, if you can pass on a 6 pointer and wait for an 8 pointer I will kiss your ass in the public square. I have spent entire seasons and not seen a single deer. That is gun hunting. My preferred method. For bow or crossbow I can just walk out the back door about 40 yds and get into a tree and kill a nice 8 pointer. Time investment is not that bad and travel expenses are nothing. But I like getting out in the big woods.
In 2010 we met the land owners where we have been hunting this year. They offered to let us hunt. They have not let anyone hunt before. I didn't ask. They offered. We were not able to take them up on it until this year. They have suffered 60 grand in crop loss this year. It's a vineyard so they figure crop loss not in resale value of grapes but in lost wine production. Antlers are cool, but they are not the primary reason I hunt. With the exception of a gift cert for steaks that I added a few bucks to, I have not purchased red meat in over a year. I eat what I kill. It probably would still be cheaper to just buy the meat and have my weekends free but that isn't what I want. Both the freezers in my garage are full. I am giving the meat away now. Both to non hunters, and some folks who I know can use the meat. That little skull cap that was cut off and sent back to us from the butcher with the meat means a lot to me. It is a memory of a great time with my son, who killed a buck in fair chase. The antlers aren't a trophy. They are memento. A relic. I will remember that hunt every time I look at them until my feeble brain gives out on me and I can't recognize them any more. I do not have a problem with trophy hunters or hunters who are obsessed with how big theirs is and I don't worry that somebody will laugh at mine because it's smaller.....but then my family came over from Italy. We don't have to worry about that sort of thing.