HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - My son's first buck.
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012, 09:59 AM
Cypress32
Spike

Why let him kill something that small? It just teaches kids its OK to shoot anything that moves as long as it has antlers no matter how small it is. I was able to shoot a 173 point 7 point with a nice thick rack only 2 weeks into the season and have missed a big 8 and a 10 and let another 8 walk so its not like you have to waste 2-3 months of the season just to see a big deer. Hunting is about patience and also quality management of your deer. I didnt kill my first buck until I was 20 because I was taught to let anything 6 points and under walk but when I finally did it was a solid 8 pointer and well worth the wait.

Id rather wait a few years and say my first deer was a giant than have all my friends laugh at me cause I killed a 2 pointer. Just ask my brother because his first buck was about the sieze of the one n that pic and my parents actually mounted it and hung it at a farm we use to own with 5 other families. Every weekend we would have 8-9 friends over to hunt and they all laughed at him and gave him hell because of how small it was. Probably didnt help matters by mounting it in the TV/game room for everyone to see right next to my 8 pointer.