HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How long does it take young bucks to get big?
Old 11-23-2012, 05:38 PM
Cypress32
Spike

Default How long does it take young bucks to get big?

I have noticed this year a ton of 1.5 year olds around the 120-130lb range with very nice tall and wide 4-6 point racks. This is the first time I have seen more bucks than does, which I guess is a good thing. I still have a ton of does but only the bucks seem to be walking...well at least for the first month of the season. Now all I see are the does. But anyways obviously I let them walk because who in their right mind would shoot something that might have great potential? But how long before they get to be one of the big boys? I have a decent tract of land, around 400 acres, so most of my deer are locals because they know come spring they get all the free food they want when its planting time. If they do wander they just go to my neighbors land and he has the same policy that I do in letting anything 6 points and under walk.

How long until those baby bucks become nice 8 pointers? Also I seem to have found a 10 pointer that has made home in a timber cutdown and loves laying up in my cotten fields but dont have a stand anywhere near his territory so hes probably gonna live till next season. I have also seen several 8s on my cameras and missed one really nice one due to a bad scope. Will those 8s and that 10 be even bigger next year as well?

Last edited by Cypress32; 11-23-2012 at 05:41 PM.