HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Which rifle cartridge?
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2012, 11:38 AM
flyinlowe
Typical Buck

Default Which rifle cartridge?

Indiana recently started allowing a limited number of rifle cartridges for deer firearms season. I usually hunt with my Encore muzzle loader because I like the accuracy and range compared to the shotgun. I haven't even looked yet but I am assuming I can get a rifle barrel in one of these calibers to hunt with during the firearms season. Are any of the rounds listed below "better" then my .50 cal. muzzle loader when it comes to range, accuracy, and knock down power.
Here is the quote from the rule book. Which of these would you go with or just stick with the ML?

I really like the way my ML shoots but I would not mind a little less cleaning.

Rifles with cartridges that fire a bullet of .357-inch diameter or larger; have a minimum case length of 1.16 inches; and have a maximum case length of 1.8 inches are legal to use only during the deer firearms and special antlerless seasons. Some cartridges legal for deer hunting include the .357 Magnum, .38-.40 Winchester, .41 Magnum, .41 Special, .44 Magnum, .44 Special, .44-.40 Winchester, .45 Colt, .454 Casull, .458 SOCOM, .475 Linebaugh, .480 Ruger, .50 Action Express, .500 S&W, .460 Smith & Wesson, .450 Bushmaster, and .50 Beowulf.