HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Team 9 Red Mist Brothers
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2012, 08:33 AM
Adirondack AL
Spike

Smile Thanksgiving Doe

Woke up at 5 this morning, stopped and got some gas and was off for some Thanksgiving hunting. My fiance hunts with me when she has the day off and we had a DMP for a unit that was about an hour drive. The unit we were hunting their was a high percentage of getting a DMP when we applied but not much public land to hunt. I cut a woodlot about twenty-five years ago and never went back to hunt that area since. I took a ride down to that area tues and sure enough it had been logged two years ago and was still open for hunting. So yesterday I hunted the area a little, but more scouting than anything and found a nice ridge to sit on at first light. Today we arrived at an old logging header and park at about 6:15 and head in to the woods to get set up. With quite a few others in the woods hunting today I decided it would be best to sit together her on one side of a big black birch tree and me on the other, we both had quite an area to cover. At 7:35 I had three doe come in about 50 yards out and took the biggest through the heart she went about 80 yds and piled up. She weighs about 120 lbs and today I was hunting with my trusty .243 Rem model 788. I wanted my fiance to shoot the deer but all three were looking right at us and it was kind of a know or never shot.
Happy Hunting and Happy Holidays, AL
Attached Images