HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New Guy Question: Thompson Encore Build vs. Complete Purchase
Old 11-22-2012, 06:48 AM
JoshuaD
Spike

Default New Guy Question: Thompson Encore Build vs. Complete Purchase

Hi All!

I'm very new to this forum (literally new), but found the site while I was searching for some info about Thompson Center rifles. I'm looking into purchasing two, one for me and one for my buddy (his 40th bday is in December).

I have been mainly a bowhunter up until this point, and although I have owned a shotgun in the past, fired several rifles and handguns, I have never though about building a rifle. I don't even know where to begin, so I thought I would post something here to gather some of your thoughts.

My original thought was to purchase the Pro Hunter XT model (40 only happens once, right. Figure I might as well go for the gold), however I have seen some people mention that putting one together would cost a bit less.

If I were going to build, what would I need to buy exactly (parts/pieces)? Are the savings substantial enough to justify building over purchasing one outright?

I am extremely mechanically inclined, so I am not worried about the actual process, just that my knowledge about the subject is extremely insufficient and I haven't been able to find any real information about it.

Any help/info/advice you have would be great.

Thanks in advance. Hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Warm Regards,
Joshua