HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - One For Ruger Old Army Owners
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 01:23 PM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Very interesting information. That is why I believe, at close ranges that a black powder revolver is a hunting revolver. Not legal in Wisconsin muzzleloader season because it can hold more then one shot.. but still I feel it able to take game. I was especially impressed with the velocity he was getting with that roundball and the five jug penetration.

I shoot a Pietta 1858 model Remington New Army with a 7-1/2 inch barrel. I normally shoot 25 grains of Jim Shockey Gold 3f powder but have on occasion pushed 30 grains of 3f Triple Seven powder. Still not up to the standards of the Ruger mind you.. but a very accurate and powerful revolver. I cheat and have the target model with the fully adjustable sights.. and anyone that don't think that makes a difference.. just shoot one of the old style and then shoot one with the target sights.. Its like night and day.

Free hand I suffer a little because I no longer practice like I used to and shoulders are not what they once were. But in my hay day, I was very good .. free style, with a revolver or pistol. My favorite revolver was a .357 magnum Smith & Wesson model 28 Hwy Patrolman. Which to those that know revolvers, was an N frame S&W. My Pietta could be made even better with larger grips, but it would detract from the history of the revolver. The Ruger Old Army revolver is IMO one of the best black powder revolvers out there. They are just built like tanks.