HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Killed a 50 lb doe, was that OK?
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 08:47 PM
RP8
Spike

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
I started hunting only several years ago and my first kills were with my M1A Scout, which was my first centerfire rifle. Turkey at 150 yards with the irons and a doe at 15 yards with irons. The sights on the Garands and M14s are just awesome. Unless it is low light. I remember a couple of does walking out into a field at last light on the last day of the season. 40-yard chip shots, and could see them fine. But I could not see through the peep sight. Could not pick up the front sight, and could not shoot. I was not happy. I now have an Aimpoint 2 MOA site mounted up there and am very happy with that. Its so fast it will make your head spin!

LRBsa. You got me jealous. What's the makeup of the gun? USGI parts or other? Stock?
I had lrb supply most of the parts and build the rifle. The gas system, op rod, and sights are all GI as far as i can tell. The barrel is a chrome lined criterion. I use a springfield armory inc. synthetic stock with the flip up, gi-style butt plate. I also use a gi fiberglass stock on it occassionaly, but usually prefer the 9 oz weight savings the springfield stock provides (rifle weighs 8.3 lbs unloaded). A national match width front sight and vortex flash suppressor round it out.

Aimpoints are nice, I have a micro on another rifle and like it. I'm sure it works well on the scout. I find that with the irons I need to limit my shooting to 15 minutes after sunrise/before sunset if it's clear, 30 if it's cloudy, but I enjoy the slight extra challenge and sleeker profile of the iron sighted rifle; granted I still carry binocs for a better look before I shoot.

Here it is with its not-legal for hunting cousin in the background.

Thanks to everyone for the continued opinions, rest assured I am definitely not wasting the meat. I will probably hunt again this season on the same property and donate if I get another one.