HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Buck Down in Nebraska
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 06:11 PM
BPeterson
Spike

Unhappy Buck Down in Nebraska

So I shot a 4x4 at 200 yds, uphill, this evening around 5 pm. He ran about 75 yds (put another bullet in him on the run) and laid down in the field. I gave him 15-20 minutes with his head laying on the ground pointed away from me with no movement, when I decided to get out of my ground blind. Well, this was the wrong move! He gets up and does the run where he falls on his face, gets up, and repeats for about 100+ yds back up into his bedding pines.

It got dark on me, and without much moonlight, or a good spotlights, I couldn't do much in the thick pines. So, I left him for tomorrow morning.

I'm shooting a 25-06, 120 grain load, as it has done great for me in the past. The buck did the gimpy run where he could take some steps, then falls forward on his face, then struggles to get up. I know it is hard to tell, but did I just nick a vital or does that shot sound pretty fatal?!?!?! I know the first shot was solid and figure the second was decent as it knocked him down, but where the heck did I go wrong on this one?

First time I've had to leave a deer overnight and track the next morning, so I am anxious. I have bigger mounted on my wall, but I just feel crappy leaving the deer out there and the suffering bugs me a touch. Hey, I know it's part of the territory that comes with being a hunter, but dammit, I would rather have that buck just drop dead from one solid shot!

I do take some solace in the fact that he went back to the bedding area, which I am hoping will keep the coyotes away.

Any thoughts or advice? I feel pretty confident I will find him as I found a huge puddle of blood where he laid in the field. Just can't understand how he could go 200+ yds after taking a chest shot!

Thanks for the help, advice, stories, etc.